Monday, November 7, 2011

Fun Stories of the Day

In American Heritage, we learn of the great ideas that run our country, particularly the ones that formed our country. One of these is called the Rule of Law, which contains five points that make a law just: generality, prospectivity, consent, publicity, and due process. We are tested on our ability to apply these ideas in real world situations. I had an epiphany today on how the Rule of Law has an application in my life. There is a rule amongst our roommates where we have to buy ice cream for everyone every time we kiss a new guy. Three of us have never kissed a guy before, so the other three decided that we have to buy two gallons of ice cream for our first kiss. This rule is targeted at a specific group of people (the non-kissed, violating generalization), and they did not give their consent. The non-kissed have decided to not abide by this rule... and possibly not even tell the kissed when they become kissed. I think we're completely justified >:) Moral of the story: use knowledge for your personal benefit.


We have to do interviews for a paper in anthropology. I already did mine, so when our professor said he was going to give us an example, I wasn't going to pay all that much attention. Unfortunately, he selected me and two guys to come up to the front of a big lecture hall via laser pointer. I almost never get picked out of the class to come up to the front (I think it's because I never say anything in class or sit in a seat likely to be called on), so it was quite strange that he happened to pick me. He asked us several questions about what we thought of the young and restless. Fortunately, I've been in theatre, so I know how to handle myself "on stage." It was still awkward, especially when I zoned out at the last question, so I had him repeat it. Moral of the story: don't attract laser pointers.

4 comments:

  1. Caitlin, thanks for sharing your blog. You're such an great person. Good luck with college and life. I'll be checking in on your blog often.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What???? You're not even going to TELL us when you get kissed?!?! That's what roommates are for! We shared our ice cream with you, now share some of your's with us!

    ReplyDelete
  3. To the Behrend's - Thanks a bunch!
    To Emily - Of course, I'll tell you! I won't be able to hold it in! Haha

    ReplyDelete
  4. My roommates and I do that except that we have to buy snowcones for everyone.

    ReplyDelete